Old May 19th 05, 05:09 AM
Nyal Williams

I put a raw carrot and some dried fruit (usually apricots),
and some cheese in baggies in the side pocket. Not
messy, and without salt. I've tried power bars, trail
mix, apples, candy, sandwiches, etc. All are messy.

Here's a trick if you can make it work in your crowded
space (I'm a small guy). The large Camelbaks have
a pocket in the back and a large mouth cap for the
water. Put ice in the Camelbak and your food in that
back pocket. It will keep the food cold and much less
messy. As the ice melts you can drink it. With the
right proportions of ice and water you can have a cool
drink most of the day and keep the food cool and firm.
Works for chocolate, even.

At 03:00 19 May 2005, wrote:
Hi Bill, Excellent suggestion - I have been using
the meal packs
for over 20 years. I crewed for Bruce Brockhoff and
Brad Edwards
from Australia in our 15m Nationals at Hobbs in 91
- I suggested
to Brad that he try the meal packs - he tried them
and liked them
a lot - and won the 15m World Championships at Uvalde
using meal
packs the whole time. I used the meal packs during
my glider flying
at Bitterwasser, Namibia (Africa)- so far I have flown
23 flights of
1000 km or more during the past 8 seasons - nearly
all with meal
packs as my mid day meal. Again, great suggestion
for the ras
readers. Regards, Ralph Woodward

Bill Daniels wrote:
'ContestID67' wrote in message
oups.com...
I have been trying to determine what foods work well
for extended

cross
country flying. It needs to taste good, give you
energy, easy to

eat
in flight, not too messy, filling, doesn't melt,
etc.

What does everyone use?

- John

Great question.

I have found Pemmican concentrated food bars to be
great.
http://www.mealpack.com/

They last a months while sealed and don't crumble
or make my fingers

sticky
when I eat them. I keep two or three in my survival
vest. They

taste good
too.

Bill Daniels