Old October 25th 06, 04:20 PM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,alt.war.iraq
Jeb Hoge

Default Big Debts are costing troops their Security clearances

Mark Test wrote:
Question: Did you pay your bills? The sailors I've seen lose their
clearances
lost them because they were in debt and refused to pay their bills.

The story is more than likely mis-leading, they left out the parts about
guys
not paying their bills.

BTW: You cannot find any homes near any US Naval bases for 125K,
Here in San Diego average home price is around 600K, I hear the Norfolk
area is high too.

You've got mostly younger adults who, from all indications, just don't
get as much education or mentoring in budgeting and not spending like
idiots, and we wonder why they end up to their noses in debt, although
in this age, we've also got more stuff that we've been taught to think
we need, like cellphones, broadband internet, Tivo, digital cable or
satellite, etc., that just didn't exist or was prohibitively expensive
back a decade or two ago.

The housing cost issue is an alarming one to me, too, and not only
because I was more or less forced to move my family out of DC Metro
because my wonderful 200%+ rate of appreciation on my property caused
my property TAX burden to overwhelm our income. Housing costs are
keeping our police, EMTs, and firefighters from being able to afford to
live in the neighborhoods that they protect in a lot of areas, and if
our servicemen can't afford homes in neighborhoods around bases, then
I'd say something is out of whack. Local governments and residents need
to remember that "affordable housing" doesn't equal slums and
closet-sized apartments.