Old March 13th 06, 01:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Fuel Cells?

"Doug Haluza" wrote in message
oups.com...
Fuel cells will soon be available for laptops, and are being appoved
for use on airliners. Could we be using fuel cells for our gliders soon
too?

Interesting question.

Fuel cells use oxygen from the ambient atmosphere which reacts with fuel
such as hydrogen or hydrogen derived from ethanol to produce electricity.
The question I'm interested in is whether there enough O2 available at
soaring altitudes for the fuel cell reaction to work. If so, this is an
interesting solution to the ever increasing power demands.

Bill Daniels