Old May 23rd 04, 08:51 PM
Andrew

Dave Martin wrote in message ...
At 07:54 21 May 2004, Andrew wrote:
Hi,
Aviation Consumer finally evaluated the Proxalert R5
proximity alerter
and what they say is crystal clear : 'It has better
performance and
features' than other devices and 'The R5 is the easy
winner over
Surecheck' trafficscope.

Those interested could buy a copy of the article at
www.aviation-consumer.com'

Andrew

As one of those who is sceptical about such devices
for glider use, I have looked the following web page
which gives details of the device

http://www.avionix.com/collis.html

To try to keep my comment brief I have cut and pasted
relevent bits, to get the full descrition look at the
web pages

'TrafficScope is a completely self-contained passive
collision avoidance system designed to indicate and
alert traffic around your aircraft. TrafficScope VRX
displays the three most threatening aircraft with digitally-precis
e range'

'The system listens for transponder replies from aircraft
in the area and derives altitude and range information
on-the-fly. When target aircraft are interrogated by
ground radar or any other active system, such as TCAS,
the transponder responds with range and altitude (Mode
C) information.'

'All transponder-equipped aircraft will be displayed
on the easy-to-read, backlit LCD display, along with
TCAS-style warning indicators, and professionally-recorded
audio alerts indicating traffic threats.'

There is a place for such a device, but in free airspace
unless we are all equipped then such a device could
be as much a danger as help. It could lead some to
fly in the belief that they are safe, especially when
the sky gets busy.

It is however a start, but have you seen the price!!!!!

Dave Martin

What's the cost of a mid air collision ???

According to Aviation COnsumer the Proxalert R5 has better
performances and features than the Surecheck Trafficscope. Considering
a usage in a glider
the R5 power consumption is very low (1 watt) compared to 5 watts for
the Trafficscope. Last but not least the R5 displays simultaneously
the three closest threat including code and trend. Have a look at the
Trafficscope display and you will see by yourself that there is no
room to display the info of these three threats.

Andrew