Old August 18th 06, 03:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Burns

Default Commercial precision landings

As others have mentioned, speed control and a tight pattern. I'd rather be
high and tight, guaranteed to make the runway and allowing a slip as an
option, low and wide doesn't leave you that option. Explaining your
reasoning, as long as it's safe and correct, shows commercial knowledge.

My commercial ride was the last ride that I was able to take with our local
DE. He's a real parrot on checkrides and a great teacher. When we were
about 5ft agl on the 180 degree power off spot landing, he asked if we'd
make the designated touchdown spot. I responded confidently that we would
because if we were short the ride would be over. Then he asked what options
I had to extend the glide "just in case"... Prop I said, pull the prop and
reduce the disc drag. "Ever done it?" he asks. "Nope" by that time his
hand was already on the prop control and it was coming back. We floated an
extra distance, I can't remember how far, but he laughed and said "See how
that works? But think before you do it, you need oil pressure in a single"
And with that our ride ended on a fun and informative note.

Jim