Old July 15th 07, 03:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Tom Clarke

Default Aviation Observer Wings Question - Do they still use them ?

"R. Scott" wrote in message
From what I remember and what I can read they are no longer issued and the
NFO came out in 1968. Yet I see a website where someone claiming to be a
commander and being commissioned in 82 wearing A/O wings on his uniform.
In my limited 16 year career (med disch not retired) I never once seen
them.

Plus a lot of his other pictures and stuff don't add up.

Like his pictures of VP31 A/C deployed overseas, Course I was in VP31 and
don't remember them deploying all over the world they seemed to train a
lot of people though .

Thanks in advanced for answering the query

Rick Scott
Fmr USN AE1 and Aircrew

Hey Scotty!

This is Tom from Rota days! The NAO wings are still in the book, at least
they were a couple of years ago, when we had a female Aviation Physiologist
qualify for them at VX-20 when I was working in Ops. You don't see them
very often though.

VP-31 was the west coast RAG for the P-3, so except for nav trainers there
probably wasn't much "deploying" going on.

I lost my medical last year due to a bypass operation and finally had to
quit flying the Herk! I now work for NavAir in the Airworthiness shop doing
NATOPS manuals. Not as much fun, but I get to go to a lot of NATOPS
conferences and tell sea stories!

What are you up to?

73 Tom EA7BXP