Old October 27th 03, 09:03 PM
Wright1902Glider

The first set of built-up ribs used paper and cassien glue for gussetts...
those being the ribs of the Wright 1903 flyer. As best as I can tell, this was
the first time that built-up ribs and a double-surface wing were used. (If
anyone has evidence to the contrary, please let me know.)

One hundred years ago, there were no certified aircraft parts or materials.
Wood came from a lumber yard, and you graded it yourself. Fabric came from the
general store and was more commonly used for making ladies' underwear. And
hardware? Well, you got some steel and made it yourself.

Keep it up R. S. Without guys like you to remind us how to keep inventing, we
may all forget and start flying Cessnas.

S. D. Harry Frey
Wright 1902 glider
hull #7