Old July 30th 03, 06:19 PM
Grandpa B.

I'm in the process of a restorating a '58 Champion 7FC/EC that was
groundlooped in Reno, shortly after being converted to a raildragger. As my
neighbor - from whom I purchased the project - said, they converted it just
in time to groundloop it.

It suffered a great deal of harm: broken wing spars, both main gear
partially torn off, along with the fittings, prop curled back (one blade), a
few bent ribs, scuffed and bent sheetmetal - cowl, etc. The lift struts made
it through, as did the bulk of the airframe.

I'm basically rebuilding it from the tires up - airframe has been faithfully
converted to an EC by removing all vestiges of nosewheel paraphernalia,
blasted and powdercoated, new interior, including floorboards. Even the seat
frames got new powdercoating! I'm in the wiring stage, waiting for the radio
trays to be repaired - not from crash damage, just abuse - then I'll finish
the (brand new) panel wiring and plumbing. Covering isn't far off... Then it
will look like an airplane, rather than a skeleton, in the garage. After
that, it's on to tearing the engine down for inspection.

Jon B.
wrote in message
om...
"Mike" wrote in message

I've read the term ground loop in a lot of articles and accident reports

but
what exactly is a ground loop?

--Mike

Mike,
If you ever experience a ground loop, you will know it!!!!!
A ground loop will make a bigger impression on you if you happen to be
in the back seat of a tandem tail dragger that you own when the wild
swing happens.
I let some yahoo fly my 7ac Champ from the front seat because he was
interested in buying it.....never again.....we ended up in the weeds
at the side of the runway. Luckly there was no damage and he bought
the airplane AND I was a LOT SMARTER.

Ken Black