Old December 15th 06, 11:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan G

Default How to get maximum height on a winch launch?

Ian wrote:

Dan G wrote:
Should say that it's "full power all the way up" the main climb, of
course we back off at the top. But there was some suprise at the launch
point recently when a K21 waved off... the common thought was "K21s
should be able to handle it". Maybe it could if it was no wind, but
with a good headwind they just can't.

And that was a surprise? Find yourself another club, man, because if
headwinds on a winch launch are unexpected your current lot are going
to damage someone one day.

Easy now, my club has a long safety record any would be proud of. AFAIK
there's never been a winch launch accident. In that particular example
there was a very strong wind gradient. I was using as an illustration
of the belief that K21s can take everything the winch gives.

So far the sole answer to my original question has been "look at the
wingtips during the launch and find what stick position
will hold them at about 45 degrees to the horizon AND
give a safe speed. If you have a low powered winch
you may have to adopt a lesser angle" from Derek.

Does everyone agree with this?

No. I think it's bad advice. Yes, you should aim to have a proper climb
angle and air speed, but the stick position is irrelevant. Just use
enough to do what's needed.

Well, "find what stick position will hold them at about 45 degrees to
the horizon AND give a safe speed" and "you should aim to have a proper
climb angle and air speed" seems to be the same thing...

Dan