Old April 12th 18, 07:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
sisu1a

Default Standard Jantar wheel brake assembly

On Thursday, April 12, 2018 at 8:02:37 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Does any have, or could anyone take a picture of the port side of of the main wheel on a Standard Jantar 41A? I’m having a heck of a time figuring out the trick to get it back together and adjusted correctly.

Thanks!

If it's the same wheel/brake as a 48-3 or a 59 then I can take some pics of the one I have, though it's no longer on the ship. That thing was simple enough assemble but I never found an adjustment point strong enough for the brakes to actually work without grabbing while not engaged.

It's a neat idea how it works in general but a poor design as applied and probably inappropriate on a sailplane. The wheel is allowed to 'float' on the axle to allow both clutch/brake plate things to engage equally even though it's actuated from one side. This also means if you do a taxi turn after landing but still able to keep the tail off the ground the brake can grab from the side load, with potential for a tail slam.

The only effective adjustment I made was to convert to a 5.00x5 Clevelend hydraulic. The biggest part of the job was the fork. Had to cut off the lugs that trap the brake plates to remain stationary, as well as machining a flange for the caliper and having it welded it on. Also needed an axle spacer/adapter and a bracket/lever for the master cylinder. Uses the same brake lever in the cockpit... except now it actually works.

If there's a Tost kit for it that's probably easier and way better than the stock contraption, but iirc that wheel was smaller and I didn't want to lose ground clearance. I have drawings of the parts that were made and specs for what was bought if you wanted to go that route.