Old October 2nd 19, 03:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Mechanical vs electrical vario needles

Hi all,

I'm considering buying a new vario, but am stuck deciding between the new generation of LXNAV/Airglide varios with entirely electronic displays, or a Cambridge/Borgelt type with a mechanical needle.

On one hand, with a pure display vario, there are so many more features available. AHRS, multiple needles displayed, wind readouts.

But, I can imagine they're difficult to read in direct sunlight, and a mechanical needle vario is much more readable from a quick glance. After all, most other instruments in the cockpit are all mechanical needles.

I'm curious to your experiences. Do you prefer the new style with all the bells and whistles, or a more traditional vario?