Old March 31st 21, 07:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jeff Bures

Default AHRS and competition/badges/records/OLC ?

Hi all,

I'm bored. I'm without a sailplane. I'm planning for my retirement, which is still some years away. I hope it will include some OLC, casual competitions, badge, or regional record attempts probably limited to the USA. It could possibly include a homebuilt or refurbished sailplane.

As such, I’ve been goofing around with panel layouts, researching and planning instruments and equipment. I’ve created everything from the ‘Ultimate’ to the ‘Minimalistic’ setup.

One interesting thing has caught my attention and I need to know more. Hopefully this group will help. No flaming please.

The availability of AHRS for sailplanes is growing rapidly. There are several affordable options available from several manufacturers, some targeted specifically at sailplanes. Many are included (or upgrades) to soaring computers. Examples include uAvionix, LX Navigation, LX Nav, and even some phone/tablet solutions (iLevil, FlightBox, WingBug).

An AV-30 could replace three (or more) instruments (airspeed, altitude, and Xpnder/ADS-B head unit). Instead of being excessively more money, it has become an affordable safety/luxury item. Soaring computers are already so very sophisticated, it won’t be long until we’ll have one screen that does everything (like a Dynon or MGL unit in amateur built aircraft).

All this leads me to some questions about competitions, badges, OLC, and records.

1. I see that SSA competition rules, section 6.6.1 prohibits AHRS type instruments. I also see there is a ‘waiver’ system, but you have to be able to disable the artificial horizon type features. What do people do these days at competitions? Do modern glide computers with AHRS include an approved ‘lock out’ feature? Does everyone get a waiver? Do most people just not buy or install the capability? I cannot see this as a tenable solution moving forward as so many AHRS systems are becoming so affordable (and possibly default installations). How is this all managed at competitions (visual inspection, self reporting, or honor system)?

2. What about OLC, badges, or records? I wasn’t able to locate information about ‘prohibited’ equipment. If they are prohibited, is it ‘honor system’ or something else that guarantees compliance?