Old April 19th 21, 02:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
RR

Default Purists are from Pluto, Motorgliderists are from Mars - #2

Jonathan, YES, I have flown a motorglider! Logged over 3K hours in excellent glass ships, flown places that even you MGP's would never go even with a motor, 1983, documented 25 miles offshore out over the Atlantic. I guess you MGP's will be shocked if I buy a self launch. Old Bob

I realize this thread is trolling, but it is perpetrating a dangerous myth. Bob has made many references to the motor saving your bacon. That motor glider pilots fly without fear over unlandable terrain. And perhaps Bob, who like to brag about his daring do might fly one that way, it is unsafe to do so.

Now there is a mindset diference when flying a glider with self retrieve capability. It is not as Bob sugest no fear over "the swamp". It is reduced concern that you will inconvenience a bunch of folks to come get you at the end of the day. This is an important distinction.

As for the olc advantage of going for the distant clouds with the chance of a landout, that is true. But is foolish at best if it is not landable under those clouds.

So yes there are psychological advantages to having a good chance to avoid a retrieve but not from the unlandable pucker factor. So are there advantages to a self launch or self retrieving glider? There damn well better be to pay the upcharge for the convenience, but is it a true fear reducer? You best check yourself if you fly like it is...