Old May 15th 13, 01:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Default Volkslogger - No Log Download Success "data -transfer ready!"

Hi,

I must respectfully disagree with you Darryl. I've been using and selling
the FTDI Chip USB to Serial Converter for several months now because it
works great with every soaring flight recorder I've tried it with.
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/ftdichip.htm

The one I sold previously didn't work well with Windows 7. I'm using a
64-bit machine.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
_______________________________________

"Darryl Ramm" wrote in message

On Tuesday, May 14, 2013 4:24:26 PM UTC-7, WaltWX wrote:
I've used my Volkslogger (VL) for years. Lately, I've been unable to
transfer or download IGC log files to my PC. I'm using various PC's
(Desktop; notebooks, etc) to no avail.

With SeeYou Connection Wizzard and Streppla, using a USB Converter
(usbconveters.com - model Ut-882)and custom cables, the LCD windows on the
VL only shows "data-transfer ready!" with no further interaction to DL log
files. I've used all this equipment in the past and it worked perfectly.
Started having this problem in March 2013 when I thought it was solved by
updating the FTDI device driver for the converter. Apparently, that
probably wasn't the root cause of my problem.

Today, I made up new cables... and that didn't solve the problem either.

Has anyone out there seen this failure mode on the VL?

Walt Rogers, WX

I would suspect the converter first. FTDI based converters do not have a
good reputation for reliability and have suffered from driver problems in
the past. I would never recommend them. You can try uninstalling and
reinstalling the drivers again, or just give up and get a better converter.
Here is a likely much better converter (I use them on PCs and Macs for lots
of uses).
http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-USA.../dp/B0000VYJRY

Whether that fixes your problem or not who knows, but I'd never waste time
with an FTDI chipset based converter.

Darryl