Old May 15th 13, 04:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

Default Volkslogger - No Log Download Success "data -transfer ready!"

On Tuesday, May 14, 2013 7:54:44 PM UTC-7, Darryl Ramm wrote:
On Tuesday, May 14, 2013 6:25:17 PM UTC-7, Dave Nadler wrote:

On Tuesday, May 14, 2013 7:32:21 PM UTC-4, Darryl Ramm wrote:

FTDI based converters do not have a good reputation for reliability and have suffered from driver problems in the past. I would never recommend them. You can try uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers again, or just give up and get a better converter. Here is a likely much better converter (I use them on PCs and Macs for lots of uses). http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-USA.../dp/B0000VYJRY

Whether that fixes your problem or not who knows, but I'd never waste time with an FTDI chipset based converter.

I've suffered in past with FTDI issues, but current FTDI products and drivers seem MUCH better... YMMV ! There are a lot of dysfunctional USB-serial converters out there.

Please let us know when you find the source of your problem,

Best Regards, Dave

Its often a driver issue. FTDI's past drivers have really been garbage with awful support, and it seems to have taken them years to maybe finally address this. Congratulations if it works now, one little OS change and who knows how long it will take them to fix problems. I just would not touch them with a barge pole. The Trip-Lite converter I referenced has a nice TI chipset. Its much better regarded all round. Its a bit of a darling in the Linux hacker community where folks who have reversed engineered the adapter and worked out how to reprogram it. FTDI is the same company responsible for the USB adapter chip in the Cambridge 302. And that's not exactly been problem-free. They went out marketing this to lots of companies as an easy to implement USB to serial adapter for embedded use that they would deal with driver support, then really did a lousy job of fixing bugs and keeping drivers current.

Darryl

Tripp Lite have an April 2013 driver bundle for Windows 7 and 8 (both 32 and 64 bit), you might want to try that. They also generally have the widest platform/OS support, including those implemented for Linux by third party hackers.

Darryl