Old April 12th 05, 02:15 PM
Dave S

The spec's are about to be consolidated (so I've been told).. so dont
spend too much time memorizing things..

But the AN5 refers to "Army Navy spec", the number 5 in this case is the
bolt diameter in 1/16" of an inch.. so this is 5/16".... an AN6 would
be 6/16" (more commonly known as 3/8"

The 7 in this part refers to the lengh.. and I do NOT know the specifics
on the length.. There are bolt gauges that can be bought, and Bolt
charts probably on the net that have the specs on them

The next up AN bolt would be an AN6, so an AN6-7. Now.. I do not know
the circumstances of your situation, and I'm not an A&P either, but you
might want to inquire if that is an "approved repair" or even
recommended in the spot that you are considering. I would check with a
pro before doing this. The hole elongation MIGHT be a sign that the
parts need replacing (MIght.. I dont know..dont claim to know).

Dave

Kjell Sivertsen wrote:
Over some time the bolt holes in the link between the horizontal stabilizer
and the trim mechanism have been elongated. To get rid of the play, I
consider installing an oversized bolt. The original bolt is an AN5-7. I am
confused about the designation on oversized bolts. Can anyone help ?

Thank you in advance.

Kjell Sivertsen