Old October 4th 03, 02:44 AM
John Penta

On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 14:22:59 -0400, Ogden Johnson III
wrote:

At the bottom end there are even more problems. Rear Admirals of
either flavor, O-7 or O-8, are very protective of their rank title.
Are you too young to remember the, mercifully brief, imbroglios when
O-7s were briefly titled Commodore/Commodore-Admiral? They grudgingly
accepted, after a long fight, wearing only one-star, but the title of
Commodore or Commodore-Admiral was anathema. The only flag officers
to carry the rank/title of Commodore were the retreads called back in
WWII to command convoys. "And you want to call *us* Commodores?"

reads I was born in 1983, so forgive me if I seem naive.

I'm not as much of an idiot as I may appear, really.:-)

I'm MORE of an idiot than I appear.:-)