View Single Post
Old August 2nd 14, 01:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roy Clark, \B6\
external usenet poster

Default Task declaration validity with 302 for US state records

This post is only about learning how to use that "electronic crap" to receive credit for a Badge or Record flight and the SSA answer to the question you seem to be asking:
"Q59 Why would I want to make a written declaration when using an FR, and how do I do this?
A. Even experienced FR users have the occasional bad day... and most people find transcription and other errors easier to spot in a document, rather than on a small display screen. When multiple pilots share an FR, there's also the chance that the last pilot's name or the wrong aircraft will appear in YOUR data file. (Not good!) Add to this the fact that it can be difficult at best to check the non-task data lurking in an FR, and many pilots opt to wear a belt and suspenders... by making a written pre-flight declaration..
One caveat: a written declaration is NOT valid for World Records.
Only the last declaration made before take off is valid for any flight, so - to cover all contingencies among different FR models and how they assign declaration times - SSA recommends the following procedure for new FR users, multiple pilots sharing one FR and in any case where the pilot name(s), aircraft information and task entered in the FR cannot be verified as accurate before take off:
1. Pilot & OO complete all pre-flight checks and the task listing on the SSA Badge & Record Worksheet
2. Pilot turns the FR ON (enter a task if you like, particularly if the FR is part of a navigation system)
3. Wait 5 minutes
4. Before take off, pilot & OO sign the written declaration, and the OO adds the date & time"
And:
"Q61 Do I need an Official Observer for a flight using an IGC approved FR or GPS Position Recorder? A. YES. The OO's duties are spelled out at Q7, in the Sporting Code and on the SSA Badge & Record Worksheet"
Did you have an OO?