Old November 16th 17, 04:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

Default Advice on returning to Soaring after over 20 years

On Thursday, November 16, 2017 at 5:33:13 PM UTC+3, Michael wrote:
I am finally returning to Soaring after over 20 years, I earned a Private Glider rating in '91 and had @175 flights in 2-33/1-26 and a Private Power rating in '92 and 350hrs.
My goal: Regain currency/proficiency and purchase a standard class non-flapped glider.
Specifically I was looking for advice/opinions on how best to proceed to that goal in a short time frame (140 days)

Question 1: Is it unrealistic to train 2-3 flights a day twice or even 3 times a week?
Question 2: Start out in 2-33 or pay a little more for ASK/Grob from the start? (both options are available to me)

Have a think about the average length of flight in each, and then figure out the cost of flying per hour once you include launches.

Unless you've got a great house thermal or ridge I think you'll find the glass ships work out cheaper. As well as preparing you better for your own glider -- for example by developing cross-country skills.