View Single Post
Old November 16th 17, 08:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas
external usenet poster

Default Advice on returning to Soaring after over 20 years

Welcome back!

Year round at Marfa Gliders in southwest Texas I offer a "Rusty Pilot" course so you can refresh your skills and knowledge, rediscover precise and relaxed flying, make consistent accuracy landings, enhance your risk management, plus my favorite subject to teach, efficient thermaling. Some pilots who have transitioned to my nice ASK-21 say it is easier to fly than a SGS 2-33.

Bless the Schweizer brothers for the SGS 2-33 training glider but in this century, our efficient "glass" sailplanes help you to explore, stay up longer and push through a headwind to the next thermal. When (hopefully not if) you purchase a modern sailplane your insurance may require that you having logged some "glass" flight hours. (Start shopping the classifieds at wingsandwheels.com!)

Marfa, Texas, is located near the scenic Davis Mountains and Big Bend National Park. Airport elevation is almost 5,000' MSL on a grassy plateau. (No oil beneath us, just a huge aquifer of water!) El Paso (ELP) is the nearest airline terminal. I have a two bedroom guest cottage with a large kitchen and classroom area for visiting students next to my home in Marfa. Marfa Airport (MRF) has several long runways and is just 3 miles north of Marfa town, a destination for artists, writers and musicians.

Marfa Airport is the site of the 15th National Landmark of Soaring plaque and where "The Sun Ship Game" movie was filmed in 1969. Yep, I was there. Just logged my 50th year in soaring (but I'm still just the kid on the airport!)

A link to a short video about soaring at Marfa: https://vimeo.com/67137849
More training videos produced by the Soaring Safety Foundation at Marfa by request.
Contact me to discuss details and dates.

Burt
Master CFI / FAA Designated Pilot Examiner
Trustee of the Soaring Safety Foundation.
Three-time "CFI of the Year" at my local FAA FSDO.
Recipient of the SSA's Warren Eaton Award for contributions to glider training and safety.
October 2017, received the FAA Wright Brothers Master Pilot Award for 50 years in aviation.

Enough of my creds . . . I'm always open to learning new skills and knowledge to share with you.

Marfa Gliders website: www.flygliders.com
On Facebook as "Burton Compton" for your amusement.

Welcome back!