View Single Post
Old January 5th 15, 12:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Surge
external usenet poster

Default What is the L/D penalty of outside mounted GoPros?

On Monday, 5 January 2015 09:06:58 UTC+2, Heinz Gehlhaar wrote:
But the outside camera will miss the sounds you hear and we all fly by. Also we wont get to see the instruments, and you cannot annotate in real life.
BTW: Thanks for all your uploaded videos.
Heinz

There are a couple of solutions to record cockpit audio with an externally mounted camera.

1. The easiest/cheapest solution is to record sound in the cockpit using a cheap smartphone or dictaphone and then sync it with the video post production.

2. Another option is to stream the audio from the cockpit to the external camera via bluetooth or Wifi.
One such solution is the Sena Bluetooth Audio Pack for GoPro http://www.sena.com/product/cameras/...opackforgopro/
The Sena solution requires no post production audio syncing and it even allows you to mix the GoPro's internal microphone with external audio input.

My biggest gripe regarding action camera's and flying is their very limited battery life.
The last thing I want to be doing while flying is fiddling with nonsense when I should be looking outside the cockpit.
20,000 mAh battery pack + 128GB SD card = switch on recording on the ground and switch it off after landing. Then edit the video post flight.