Old October 9th 05, 04:59 PM
Dean A. Scott

but there aren't any on Ebay at the moment.

There's ALWAYS an SE-8xxxx on ebay being offered 'Buy It Now'
from Fire Equipment Liquidators
http://stores.ebay.com/id=37098259&ssPageName=VI:SIB:StoreView.

Currently it's item number 7717678330.

This guy/company sells one at a time, but apparently has dozens
in stock since he's been listing this headset for at least the
last 6 months.

FYI, this is what did. I was increasingly displeased with a
Flightcom A9 mic... just not good at open cockpit/engine noise
reduction. A friend had an SE-8 that sounded exceptionally clear
and engine noise free over the radio. I was envious and went
looking for a way to get one of those M-80 mics. Found this
ebay seller and got his SE-8SRPTT headset. The SRPTT part
means Slotted earcup, Radio Push To Talk. I didn't realize that
until after getting it. Wanting what my friend had, I called up
Sigtronic Parts and ordered two, undrilled, closed (un-slotted)
earcups ($12 ea) and a speaker (the slotted earcup obviously
doesn't have one). I then went about converting/rebuilding the
SE-8SRPTT into a regular SE-8 (no volume control or PTT switch
on the boom mic earcup). Another thing is that the SRPTT comes
with a helicopter plug (double ring). I replaced it with a
standard 14/" stereo plug for the now stereo headset speakers
and a 1/4" mono plug for the mic. The AVIATION version of this,
the S-8, costs around $230. I rebuilt to the SAME specs for at
total of $97.

Dean A. Scott, mfa
School of Visual Art and Design
southern adventist university