Old March 6th 09, 08:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mark Hansen

Default Throttle or Prop control first after takeoff

On 03/06/09 12:48, Robert M. Gary wrote:
On Mar 6, 11:37�am, cyberflyrg
wrote:
We are having a argument about what is better to do after takeoff. Some
mechanics say pull power back first after takeoff and then adjust prop
speed after, my mechanic says prop speed back first and then manifold
pressure after that.
What the "right" thing to do that will not damage the prop governor and
motor??? You opinion is greatly appreciated..
PS: this is in reference to my 1965 210.

Refer to your POH when in doubt. However, the rule of thumb most of us
fly under is that when reducing power you work left to right
(throttle, then prop, then mixture). When increasing power you work
the other way (mixture, prop, then throttle). This sequence ensures
you don't lug the engine. If your airframe POH or engine manual says
otherwise, go for it.

-Robert, CFII

Yes but right after take off, don't people reduce the rpm just a bit
(to 2500 in the Archer I flew) to reduce noise?

--
Mark Hansen, PP-ASEL, Instrument Airplane, USUA Ultralight Pilot
Cal Aggie Flying Farmers