Old May 10th 18, 05:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

Default Flat external FLARM antenna?

On Thursday, May 10, 2018 at 12:21:35 PM UTC-4, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:
On Thursday, May 10, 2018 at 8:17:35 AM UTC-7, Dan Daly wrote:
The power radiation pattern would not be favorable.
UH

Why is that?

Take a look at http://b1.ifrm.com/2510/101/0/p10229...ionPattern.gif .

Your wires, facing fore/aft, would radiate as a dipole. Good to the sides, no coverage in front or behind - arguably the most important place to have coverage.

You can see with a vertical antenna, you have good all-quadrant horizontal coverage, but are unprotected from a vertical attack (you still have coverage above and below for close transmitters via side lobes). It has good coverage for +/- 20 degrees from the horizon - which is where the vast majority of the threat exists.

Dan D., my intent was to orient the wires vertically on the outside of the ship. However, Dan M has reminded me that only one antenna transmits. Therefor I would only be seen from one side of the ship. That doesn't work.

Perhaps a vertical dipole above the glare shield for transmit, and a transversely mounted "tape" antenna on the belly. The transverse mount (along the axis of the wings), even though it is mostly horizontal would give good reception forward, below, and to the rear. the dipole would x-mit and receive forward, and to the sides, but not below or behind that well.

Matt

Matt, ok, I didn't understand the planned orientation. The belly FLARM B would receive, so in a high/low situation, at least one of you would get an alarm.