Old December 11th 18, 03:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike C

Default SSA Competition Rules Committee Meeting Minutes Now Available

On Tuesday, December 11, 2018 at 8:40:47 AM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
Speaking as a non-competition, but curious pilot; when a WGC is held in
the US, whose rules are used to fly the competition, US or FAI? I assume
they use FAI rules so I've got to ask, why would you fly by one set of
rules in your own country at the local, regional, and national level and
then try to compete by a different set at the world level?Â* Seems
counter productive to me.

Make all the usual rationalizations like, weather, local terrain,
Popsicles before takeoff, etc., but the simple fact remains:Â* you're
simply handicapping yourselves by not using the same set of rules all of
the time.

Dan, 5J

Quite right Dan.

Speaking as a SSA member.

Why make it so difficult? Keep the Sports Class rules American and allow the FAI classes to be FAI. It is common sense. If it is reasoned that it takes three seasons to allow American competition pilots the time to understand FAI rules, they should not be representing the USA in competition. The switch back to FAI rules should happen and should not be a long drawn out process. Sometimes people have to let go of cherished ideas that they are long attached to and try to understand what is logical and right. American exceptionalism should be based on competence, not on a faux superior sense of isolation from the rest of the world. We have a few skilled younger (and seasoned) pilots that have displayed superior talent, are passionate and could be among the best in the world if they are given a level playing field to hone and expand their skills. The Society should invest in their success in any and all ways available.

Mike Carris