Old May 15th 16, 02:57 PM
Walt Connelly Walt Connelly is offline
Senior Member

Default Tow Pilot Currency and Proficiency

In the May 2016 edition of SOARING Magazine Burt Compton covered the requirements for Tow Pilot Currency and Proficiency under FAR 61.69. While I am all for following the rules and regulations and acknowledge that a thorough review of the finer points of any form of flying is always a good thing, I was a bit surprised to learn exactly what was required to remain current as a tow pilot. As stated, a tow pilot is required to either do three actual or simulated tows in the preceding 24 months while accompanied by another qualified, current tow pilot….OR by making three launches by aerotow as pilot in command of a glider in the preceding 24 months. It is this second manner of regaining currency that I find nebulous. This method certainly doesn’t speak to the proficiency of said pilot in a tow plane. Burt does recognize this and goes on to say that one might “ponder your comfort level before being towed by a tow pilot that had not flown a tow plane in many months.”

Am I wrong to think that perhaps the FAA is making rules and regs just for the sake of making rules and regs? Just like the recent change to getting a student pilots license…..my understanding is that now one cannot apply until they are 14 years of age yet a 14 year old is permitted to solo a glider on their birthday but without the student pilot certificate that cannot happen.

I wonder how much input there might be from high time tow pilots and glider pilots, instructors and glider port operators to the agency when such regulations are established? Seems like there is a major disconnect somewhere.

Walt