View Single Post
Old February 3rd 20, 05:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Rigging grease recommendations for long-term-rigged gliders

On Saturday, February 1, 2020 at 6:43:01 PM UTC-5, Jim Hogue wrote:
So, I have been using white lithium grease for decades for all my glider fittings. This has worked out fine, no problems ever, all my fittings have stayed nice, with no damage of any kind.

However, now that I have an 18 meter motorglider and am retired and blessed with time to go soar, my rigging habits have changed. I now typically keep my glider rigged for weeks at a time when flying at soaring safari or contest sites. When based at my home 'drome off season, I have a hangar so I am typically rigged for months at a time off season.

A person knowledgeable about such things recently told me that white lithium grease for the main high stress attach points (wing pins and lift pins) is not good, it dries out and/or cannot stand up to or stay in place due to the high stresses on those components, and the result is scoring. This makes sense to me, and I am thinking about changing to a better grease for long-term rigging. He suggested molybdenum disulfide grease.

I would like to invite comments on this. Are there other options for grease for long-term rigged gliders? What are the best sources (USA) for such greases?

Thanks in advance,
Cheers,
Jim J6

Another thought:
If you have a one man rigger, which almost all of us do,it isn't that hard to put a wing stand on one side , and the rigger on the other, like you are taking it apart, then pull the pins and slide the wings out enough(maybe 2 inches)to give the pins a fresh smear, and put it back together. You already have the alignment. I'll bet to could be done in less than 15 minutes. Cost is the price of wing root tape.
FWIW
UH