Old September 6th 04, 08:20 PM
Dudley Henriques

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
news:EY%_c.306956$eM2.73249@attbi_s51...
I'm sorry, but just the video alone without a corresponding report
does
little to serve the safety issue. To serve the safety issue, video
must
be viewed in an investigative context by people who know how to
evaluate
that video.

This is an excellent point, Dudley, and I would like to propose an
idea that could help all pilots, AND improve the utility of my
website.

As I'm sure you are aware, I, too, have an aviation video page on our
hotel's website. (See it at
http://www.alexisparkinn.com/aviation_videos.htm ) It is chock-full
of fascinating aviation videos, some that are just plain cool, some
that show landing in Iowa City for potential guests -- and others that
depict terrible crash footage.

In some cases I have included commentary from people who were actually
involved in the situations depicted. (The B-52 crash, for example.)
With most, however, I have no way to identify the people and pilots
involved, since most of the videos have been sent to me by fellow
pilots from all over the world.

You are an aviation expert with a unique expertise in aviation safety.
You are also obviously incensed at the notion of aviation crash videos
being viewed outside of the aviation safety context. As I've read
your posts, I've come around to see that there is much truth in your
convictions.

I, on the other hand, am interested in maintaining (and expanding) a
very popular page on our website, not because it nets me any money (it
does not) but because I personally find these videos to be
fascinating.

Perhaps we can meld the two together?

How would you like to provide a short commentary on each crash video,
for inclusion on our website? Perhaps a paragraph or two, with your
expert opinion on what happened, how the incident could have been
prevented, what steps have been taken since the accident to prevent a
recurrence, etc., etc.

Really, you would have carte blanche to write whatever you felt was
appropriate, as a service to your fellow (and future) pilots.

What do you say? Want to help fix the problem?

Well, first of all, and not to sound too sarcastic, I've been "helping
to fix the problem" all through my career.
That being said, I believe your site the video displayed there are well
within my definition for ethical presentation, not that this matters all
that much.
You have obviously made an effort to present these images in a proper
context, including safety related data whenever and wherever possible.
In other words, it's obvious from knowing you personally and being aware
of your genuine interest in aviation safety, including what you are
asking me to do, that your intent is to better the safety scene.
You should be aware however, in asking someone like me to offer comment
on a crash where I'm not involved with the investigation, that although
I might have a degree of experience in air safety matters, my opinion on
a video where I am not directly involved, or have not been directly
involved with the specifics of the accident, would simply be one more
opinion, no matter how "educated" from the sidelines.
In addition, I have just finished, along with a hand picked group of
pilots specializing in airshow and demonstration expertise, over a
year's direct involvement with Gen Barker's fine manual on airshow
safety, "Zero Error Margin". Included in this book is detailed
information on most of the videos on your site. This information is
accident specific and includes the official reports and notation from
professional pilots who are directly involved in our business. I highly
recommend that interested parties obtain a copy of this book, as I
consider it indispensable as a source of exactly the information you are
seeking from me.
In light of these circumstances, and also because I have little use for
the back and forth on these matters that occurs on Usenet, I will
respectfully decline your kind offer and refer you and all others
interested in the safety issues involved with these videos to Gen
Barker's book.
I will be most happy to supply the information needed to purchase this
volume...and before anyone on Usenet asks me.....NO, I didn't get paid
for my contributions to the book, NOR do I gain financially from the
sale of the book. All work on this volume was by invitation only and was
complete voluntary by all concerned!
Thank you
Dudley Henriques
International Fighter Pilots Fellowship