Old May 30th 20, 11:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Landout at Class C or D tower-controlled airport?

Most controllers will have a conniption if you spring this on them. At places like ELM, ITH, LAL they have an idea what you're up to. For sure, class C requires a transponder of you're going to be doing some 'splainin'.

I monitor the freq and get an idea what's happening before I get close. ATIS/ASOS earns you points. If there are multiple runways and you can plan to avoid tying things up and roll/push clear quickly that would be awesome - e..g. volunteer to use an inactive runway and hold short of active.

BOW controller told a glider pilot to land or go away when he called to say he wanted to struggle through the airspace. Group response the next day was "how dare he", etc., etc. But class D is reserved for aircraft arriving and departing. Read the reg. If a controller lets you grind around and escape they may really be bending over backwards...