Old May 31st 20, 05:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
5Z

Default Landout at Class C or D tower-controlled airport?

Back in the late 1970's, on Memorial Day weekend, a friend flew his Janus (with me in back) from Estrella, AZ to Gillespie Field outside San Diego. Last thermal was around Mt Laguna or so and I had loads of fun keeping track of our exact position with only a Sectional Chart, since it looked like we would just make it.

We arrived a bit above pattern altitude, and my professional airline pilot friend, just used his N-number to identify when making the initial call. Tower told us to report downwind abeam the tower, so we did. I think that as we turned base was when the controller realized we were a glider :-)

He told Tower that we'd roll to the far end of 27 so we could push the ship the few hundred feet to the FBO nearby. A complete non-event.

Flying from Minden around 1990, I got low west of Reno, so contacted the tower as I tried to get up and away. Couldn't find a thermal, so the controller cleared me to land on the taxiway parallel to 25. I think they were used to seeing gliders :-)

When landing at a big airport, whether with or without a tower, I try to scope it out before deciding where I'll land. If there's someone on the ground (or the tower), I'll ask about landing on the ramp or taxiway near tiedowns if it looks safe from above. Keeps me off the runway and simplifies parking the glider. Big airports may have several parking areas, but maybe only one has convenient trailer access.

Another option at many big airports is the high speed taxiway "off ramp" . Fly the first phase of the final approach along the edge opposite the turnoff. Then when lined up with the taxiway, make a small turn and touch down on the runway, then roll out down the taxiway to a place where I'll be out of the way once stopped. Or touch down 100' or so short of the turnoff while aligned with the runway, then turn while still carrying some energy to get clear of the runway. in either case, this provides a few seconds to take a look at the taxiway to confirm it's safe to turn. If there are obstructions, then get stopped ASAP, jump out and push the glider clear.

As pilot in command, you have the right to say "unable" to instructions you don't like, and offer an alternate plan. Be concise and professional on the radio, so know how to talk to ATC properly. Loads of online resources these days to listen and learn how to do it correctly.

A friend once declared an emergency so he could land at a military airport. Tower asked him to "state nature of the emergency".

His response: "Zero fuel". :-)

5Z