Old April 1st 04, 12:43 AM
john szpara

You are definitely asking the right questions about the twins. And
you are right to be asking here before getting out your checkbook. In
the traditional r.a.owning way - keep asking the questions and we'll
keep saying you can't afford it until you're stuck on the ground.

Yeah, a while back I was asking about a favorite plane of mine, the
T210, and they were close to having me talked out of buying it, or
anything else. The dream to fly and own is persistant, though.

Seriously though, $20-30k for 100hrs/year works out to $200-300/hr.
It is impossible to own/operate a 421 for $200/hr. The GTSIO520s burn
25gph (each) in cruise. Given the $3/gallon prices we have in Chicago
- that's $150/hr right there.

A 421 is almost certainly more plane than I need. The 340 is probably
closer to the truth, but is more crampt than the 414. If I can find a
414 that I can afford, both on the front and back end, then that might
be the bird. Assuming, of course, that wing spar AD doesn't kill all
300/400 Cessnas.

So a rough estimate per hour
Fuel: $150
Oil: $6
Eng Reserve: $45
Tiedown $6
Insurance: $100
That's close to $300 and it does not include annual inspections or
misc maintenance costs.

Thanks for the writeup. This kind of stuff is invaluable in helping
the decision process.

John Szpara
Affordable Satellite
Fiero Owner 2-84 Indy Pace cars, 86 Coupe, 88 Formula 3.4, 88 Coupe, 88GT