Old April 15th 04, 05:03 AM
Leon McAtee

(Lennie the Lurker) wrote in message . com...

Look at the situation as it is, not as you want to
see it. Soaring doesn't need another $80k custom built hand made by
gnomes or trolls in der black forest, but anything that doesn't
measure up to some peoples wishes will be met with a blast of badmouth
right away. Almost every sailplane made today is made with the
competitor in mind, and the manufacturers aren't going to listen to
any suggestion that maybe something more pedestrian might sell. Which
suits the competitors quite well, and insures that the number of new
people will remain small, and declining.

Saying that people are "too lazy" to soar is like me saying soaring
people are too lazy to try metalworking. I just made a skid plate for
a 2-33 out of 1/4 inch AR plate, 3 1/2 hours pushing it through the
saw to cut to size. Call me lazy if you will, but I'd rather push the
steel than pay through the nose for what soaring costs, and it's just
as interesting.

While I think there are other causes for the decline of recreational
aviation in general, you have identified the real problem - Money. Or
more precisely the cost of having fun.

The hang glider population around my parts is zero now. 25 years ago
when it was new it grew fairly fast but as the state of the art
advanced from bamboo, tarps, and tape the cost of having fun slowly
went up. Those established in the sport could afford the evolution
and continued to have fun - and fly safer. But gradually the cost of
an "acceptable" entry level glider (and the associated accessories)
got to the point that the newcomers balked at the initial outlay of
cash and turned to other hobbies. A sad side to this story is that
there were actually lots of serviceable used gliders sitting unflown
in garages but I heard more than once, "You don't want that one. It's
old and doesn't fly as well as this newer one. If you really want to
have fun you need the better one. Sure it cost a bit more, but it's
worth it" It may have "been worth it", but it cost too much and the
former new glider pilot spent his money on a snowmobile, or a bike, or
a horse.

The original bunch gradually quit flying for one reason or another
until there are no folks jumping of the local hill. And as with lots
of hobbies a good bit of the attraction of the activity is not only
the activity but the socializing that goes along with friends mutually
enjoying their chosen sport. Flying is fun, but it's even better when
you can share the good times with a friend.

I'm interested in getting started in gliding and have my own unique
challenges to overcome. The general impression most of the people I
talk to have of gliding (power pilots or earth bound alike) is that
glider pilots are flying their gliders on the weekends there isn't a
polo match or a fox hunt. This isn't my impression but I do think
there is too much emphasis on competition and "performance" and not
enough on having fun. I get the feeling that if I show up somewhere
with a 4th hand Woodstock towed behind an old Jetta and step out on
the field dressed in Levi's and a T-shirt there will be a few pilots
quietly snickering in the background about my poor performing
hardware. Fortunately I'm the kind of guy that really doesn't care
what others think. I'm there to satisfy me, not the critics. But the
average Joe is very image conscious and doesn't like being the odd one
in the group. It's just another unfortunate result of living in an
image dominated society.

So in my opinion if you want gliding to grow you need to make it
conspicous, fun, comfortable, and at least as cheap to try other
hobbies. Take some lessons from the early hang gliders. Build a
primary glider, find a hill, invite the local kids and let them bounce
down the hill a few times...............

Those that like it may become regulars. But if they never try it, due
to negative preconceptions of the sport, how can they know?
Leon McAtee