Old March 24th 05, 12:13 AM
Dan Wegman

"Paul kgyy" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm planning a flight from Denver Co to Taos NM around Memorial Day,
non-turbo Arrow. Available options to negotiate the Sangre De Cristo
mountain range appear to be either La Veta pass, west from Cimarron, or
way down south around Las Vegas. I'd appreciate some comment from
people experienced with the route.

I once flew from ABQ to COS in a non-turbo Skylane and went through La Veta
pass on the northbound trip and through the mountains west of Cimarron on
the way back. West of Cimarron you'll have a nice route that will take you
west, then south over Eagle Nest lake and then west again just before you
overfly Angel Fire. (Follow the road that runs through the valley.) One
consideration may be the winds. Flying south along the windward side of the
mountains all the way to Cimarron may give you a rougher ride if it's windy.