Old March 24th 05, 12:47 AM
Don Hammer

On 23 Mar 2005 12:04:34 -0800, "Paul kgyy"
wrote:

I'm planning a flight from Denver Co to Taos NM around Memorial Day,
non-turbo Arrow. Available options to negotiate the Sangre De Cristo
mountain range appear to be either La Veta pass, west from Cimarron, or
way down south around Las Vegas. I'd appreciate some comment from
people experienced with the route.

I made the trip from Taos to Salida and back in a glider once, right
down the top of the rocks. Had two Air Force fighters pass under me
down one valley. Probably wouldn't do that same route in a power
plane, but if I remember right, the terrain falls away pretty fast on
both sides. Got stuck for a while trying to climb Blanca Peak and I
can tell you what every rock looks like on top of it.

There is the Great Sand Dunes National park, a lot of miliitary
training traffic, indian reservations and sage brush. If you land in
a reservation, they ask you why you are sitting in their airplane.
The sage brush is huge and apart from a few ranch strips, any
emergency landing is on roads that are lined with reflectors. Those
make big dings in glider wings.

What a beautiful part of the country - I am envious. Be careful and
have a fun trip.

Don