Old March 24th 05, 06:26 PM
Alan

Paul,

Memorial Day week-end in Taos is a blast. There's a major motorcycle
rally in Red River and you can sit on the patio at the Taos Inn being
entertained by the parade of cycles passing on the Paseo del Pueblo
Norte.

I fly this this regularly from Boulder (1V5) in my '60 Skylane. My
usual route is straight south down the front range, over La Veta Pass
and then south to Taos. Early morning is always the best bet for a
number of reasons. First, La Veta tends to get obscured beginning
as early as about 11am. Second, you'll start getting turbulance from
afternoon thermals on the west side of the pass in the San Luis
Valley.

La Veta Pass does have an AWOS but I've found it to be pretty quirky
and I don't trust the info it transmits most of the time. I usually
file a PIREP with Denver Fligh****ch when I'm approaching Walsenburg
to update them on what I found coming south and to see if they have
any PIREPS from the pass.

Rental cars are available at the FBO from Enterprise but you should
book in advance. There's no taxi or shuttle service into town. I
have a few pictures on my web site, if you're interested.

Have fun!

Alan Bloom
N8565T
'60 C182

Dogs can fly.
http://www.flyingmutts.com

On 23 Mar 2005 12:04:34 -0800, "Paul kgyy"
wrote:

I'm planning a flight from Denver Co to Taos NM around Memorial Day,
non-turbo Arrow. Available options to negotiate the Sangre De Cristo
mountain range appear to be either La Veta pass, west from Cimarron, or
way down south around Las Vegas. I'd appreciate some comment from
people experienced with the route.