Old April 23rd 04, 10:45 PM
Cecil Chapman

Based on this experience, I caution Jon to make sure that his bad holding
pattern is not a symptom of other, more general problems. Remember that

the
checkride is not comprehensive, but just a spot check; the fact that many
things went well doesn't prove that everything is OK. If Jon's CFII is an
experienced instrument instructor and has a lot of instrument rating
endorsements under his belt, then he will probably know if Jon's problem

on
the checkride was just a glitch. In this case, it might be OK to just

review
holds, and then complete the checkride. However, if the CFII has little
experience, or if he is experienced and not completely confident in Jon's
proficiency level, then I suggest spending at least several hours

reviewing
all elements of the PTS, possibly with a more experienced instructor.

Sure,
at this point you mainly want to get the checkride behind you, but make

sure
that you're not ignoring a warning that the holding pattern might be

giving
you.

This is a VERY good point, though it would be more accurate to say that
performing a holding pattern truly involves a heightened level of
situational awareness - I think,,,, more so, than most of the instrument
flying skills.

Thankfully, though we are dealing with Jon and most of us know that he has
it all together and that he just 'brain faded' a bit when it got to the
holds. Actually, upon re-reading his account, he had to be exhausted
halfway through his checkride,,, I'd say there was even more pressure on him
than in a 'normal' checkride experience.

Good observation/point, though... very good!

=-----
Good Flights!

Cecil
PP-ASEL
Student-IASEL

Check out my personal flying adventures from my first flight to the
checkride AND the continuing adventures beyond!
Complete with pictures and text at: www.bayareapilot.com

- Antoine de Saint-Exupery -

"We who fly, do so for the love of flying. We are alive in the air with
this miracle that lies in our hands and beneath our feet"
- Cecil Day Lewis -