Old August 25th 09, 02:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
smithcorp

Default Sun Ship Game on Youtube - Complete

On Aug 25, 9:44*pm, Martin Gregorie
wrote:
On Mon, 24 Aug 2009 19:47:22 -0700, smithcorp wrote:
Great to see the dress code for flying back then. Collared shirt and
chinos. Reminded me of a book I looked at with history of gliding in
Western Australia, with photos from the 1930s era of chaps in primary
gliders wearing shorts with ties. Tally ho!

That *is* fairly formal wear in Australia and New Zealand and exactly
equivalent to seeing similar pictures from America and Europe showing
pilots in jackets, ties and trousers. Arriving at the office wearing a
jacket, shirt, tie, neatly pressed shorts and socks is normal in the
Antipodean summer. Its a sensible concession to the climate. I'm just
surprised that it isn't more widespread in regions with hot summers.

--
martin@ * | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

Oops - typo - I meant wearing shirts with ties (not shorts). But
there's quite a difference between the sportswear of then and now,
that's for sure.