View Single Post
Old February 26th 19, 12:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Terry Pitts
external usenet poster

Default Soaring at Boberg Hamburg Germany???

On Friday, February 22, 2019 at 12:10:19 PM UTC-5, HoUdino wrote:
I will be spending two months in Hamburg this summer near the Boberg clubs. Anyone on rec.soaring fly at that location? What's the recommended way to get involved for a USA licensed glider pilot?

Lars Tuohino

In 2011 when I went to Germany with the Army the German Luftfahrtbundesamt (LBA) allowed most foreign pilots to fly D-reg gliders with a medical and 30 hours glider experience. I assume (?) something similar is still in place..

Do you speak German? Do you have a US medical already?

I'd suggest you contact the club and ask for a recommendation for a Fliegerarzt (AME) so you can get a medical if you don't have one. No medical - no solo. If you set up the appointment - before you get to Germany - so you can have it right after your arrival you'll maximize the time you can fly.

I flew on my FAA certificate and medical for a year. By then I had a German airplane private license and it was really easy to get a German glider license. FAA to German required two (expensive) written tests - Air Law and Human Performance Factors.

The biggest issue you are likely to have is that most clubs require actual membership which gets expensive for just two months. You'll need to ask about that. There are a few great places to fly that charge a daily membership rate with a reasonable annual max - Wasserkuppe, Feuerstein, and DASSU. I've flown at all three.

Shoot me a note if you want to talk.

Terry