Old August 17th 13, 07:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean F (F2)

Default Absurdity of US Rules (in fairness to FAI)

Rich,

If someone gets to 10k ahead of me launching, I would expect that I should be able to get that high as well in short order. If not, its probably my problem. I need to give myself time to climb up just as the early launcher did. Sometimes there is not enough time for the late launchers to be in position to start 15 minutes after launching or with the early starters. So what? This is a basic fact of contests. I just don't see a early launcher having a head start over a late launcher or re-lite as unfair. As with many things, it depends.

Back to the climbs. The ability to climb higher than the others requires great skill. Often its lighter wing-loading which balances out over the task, etc (assuming all other factors are equal). Sure, occasionally one may get 500 ft above the rest before starting. Good for them! Is this luck? Skill? I say skill.

Furthermore, within a start area and over a period of an hour or so, opportunities to climb should be fairly uniform in said area. I don't see a major difference in climb potential in the start process unless you are in a wave condition and are inexperienced with wave flying.

Grid positions are random, and part of our sports nature (until we all have motor gliders). Example: I was left behind unable to climb high enough to start one day this year at 18 meter nationals. Should I have called the CD and said this is unfair? I was just not finding lift as the gaggles heading out on task (I was 1500 below, struggling), and it took me 20-30 minutes to find a climb and set off after the pack. In my opinion that is just part of the game. Fairness is not guaranteed, same as skill varies. That day it was my inexperience that cost me the chance to start with the pack, not unfairness.

What if you cant get as high as a guy who launched after you? Is that also unfair? ;-)

Anyhoo, I just don't seem to get the unfairness you are concerned with regarding an unlimited start height which will allow pilots to get their heads out of the contest in this highly dangerous part of contest flying. I see it as a great solution to a massive problem that is just a mistake away from causing a big, big bummer for a couple unlucky pilots.

Safety first! Everything else is a distant second. Pilots need to have their heads out of the cockpit, especially when in the start cylinder/line area!

Sean

On Wednesday, August 14, 2013 6:05:10 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Wednesday, August 14, 2013 5:32:50 AM UTC-7, Sean F (F2) wrote:

Richard,

Why? Any start opening 15 minutes after the last launch has the potential of being unfair on a weak day (loosing the gaggle). This is just part of the nature of soaring. Sometimes you have to do it yourself! ;-)

Sean,

There is the nature of soaring, and then there is gross unfairness. To have someone starting 10,000' above you 15 minutes after the last launched rolled

is absurd. On weak low days the CD has the potential to delay the task opening to allow the last launchers time to get to a reasonable altitude. Attempts at a fair start can and should be made. Open class has no gaggle to loose and some of us don't fly with gaggles in 18m and 15m, so the "unfairness" is simply an altitude issue.

Richard Walters