Old September 23rd 10, 07:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Surfer![_2_]

Default Future Club Training Gliders

"Derek C" wrote in message
snip

Lasham bought a couple of DG1000s as all round trainers. However in
practice they are mostly only used for advanced cross-country
training. From a basic instructional point of view they are too
complicated (tail weights etc), too difficult to get in and out of,
and have awful ground handling (we have the 2 wheel version - the tail
weights a ton). They spin rather too well and lose a lot of height in
the process. We also have a couple of K21s which are great general
purpose gliders, but as basic trainers they are, if anything, too
docile and easy to fly, and won't spin with a normal weight male
student in the front seat. We still use ancient although slightly
updated K13s for most basic training. They do everything tolerably
well, although more performance would be nice.

I had the good fortune to get a bimble to Chievley and back last year in the
turbo one. Ground handling is fine with the tail dolly on, but one of the
dollys was defective so we had to go to the launch point to get the one that
was OK. The tail is no heavier than my glider, and if you sit someone on
the cockpit rail lifting it to get the dolly on is pretty easy.

I agree it's difficult to get into, especially for the short of leg, and
there is the danger of falling into the canopy which of course would
probably do a lot of damage. All that needs is one of those plastic steps.
That high wheel (assuming it doesn't collapse!) must be a great asset for a
field landing if the stuff in the field isn't ideally short.

We didn't spin it, nor did it feel anywhere near spinning at reasonable XC
and thermalling speeds - unless it doesn't have a pre-stall buffet.

Tail weights are IMHO a big improvement over water - for one thing no
problem if it's going to be sub-zero - for another they are quicker to
change than pouring water in or extracting it from a 500/505.

I found the DG1000 was easy to fly and very easy to land - it has massively
powerful airbrakes and wheel brake, there was no problem landing it in a
small area from a position that was really too high and too close.

However it's never ever going to be a primary trainer, as you wouldn't send
someone for their first solo in it.