Old February 24th 04, 07:38 PM

Stephen Stilkey wrote:
: Just finished the annual inspection on my 1963 172 this afternoon. It was
: the first time I had used this A+P to inspect my plane. I assisted and
: things went smoothly. It's interesting that a "new" set of eyes can see
: things that have been overlooked in the past. Anyway, the seat belts no
: longer have "tags" that designate them approved. He said they must either be
: replaced or refurbished for the plane to be considered airworthy. Any
: thoughts on who might recondition the belts? Do I have to spring for new
: replacement ones?

: Thanks,
: Steve

Yet another example of how ridiculous, tedious and completely misguided the
FAA regulations and their enforcement has become. While I don't necessarily fault the
A&P since it's his ticket on the line, the knee-jerk ruling ("... of course that's
illegal!") is the fundamental problem.

WRT your problem, I'd find a set from a junkyard.. Wentworth (MN) or Aircraft
Salvage (TN) come to mind. Even they aren't cheap though. Got a replacement rear
belt for our Cherokee... Something like $50 for a moldy old thing. Ridiculous.

-Cory

* The prime directive of Linux: *
* - learn what you don't know, *
* - teach what you do. *