Old October 17th 20, 04:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

Default Wheel brake effectiveness standards

The Tost drum brake on my PIK20D, if you turned the drum, relined the shoes and had them arced perfectly to the drum, and carefully assembled everything clean and neat, would stop the glider (or put it on its nose). For the first flight. By the fourth or fifth flight, just adequate. By the tenth flight, you'd be better off opening the canopy and dragging your foot. In contrast, on my ASH26, the Cleveland disk brake will skid the wheel flight after flight, year after year. If I have the choice of a couple of extra pounds to overkill the brake, or dragging my foot to stop, give me the former.

On Saturday, October 17, 2020 at 6:50:35 AM UTC-7, krasw wrote:
I'm pretty sure that in some cerfification standard there is this specification: "pilot should be able to move some lever is the cockpit marked as wheel brake, and preferably hear scratching sound while pulling it, so that he feels like he is applying wheel brake. No decelaration is needed, however."

At least this is how they were made for decades, before someone invented hydraulic disc brakes.