Old August 10th 05, 09:02 AM
Simon Hobson

On Mon, 8 Aug 2005 19:49:34 +0100, Scott Moore wrote
(in message ):

Clearly it is difficult to achieve an effective timed residence ban
such as that proposed (90 days every 365 days) while allowing visiting
aircraft, because one obvious work-around is for the pilot to swap
aircraft every 90 days. While obviously most private pilots aren't
going to purchase, or rent/lease from outside the UK, a different
N-reg plane every 90 days (i.e. 4 a year), a larger fractional
ownership operation could be structured so the planes are rotated via
other countries. A multinational business operating say 4 jets could
keep 3 outside the UK and rotate them every 90 days, thus meeting this
requirement. So the proposal would screw the small private pilot,
while leaving the larger turboprop/jet groups much less affected.

I had thought of this as well, but it would make for some really complicated
group structures !

Why can't UK owners just park the airplane across the channel in france
for some portion of the year ? Surely there has to be a percentage of
time resident or similar requirement. So UK owners just lease to a flight
club across the channel for a few months of the year.

The proposal isn't that you can only keep the plane in the UK for 90 days at
a time, it's for a limit of 90 days in the UK in any 12 months period (the 90
days bit is up for discussion). So you would have to have the plane outside
of the UK for the other 9 months.

As Peter suggested, one way around this (that would work only for larger
groups, so still screw the majority of private pilots) is to have a fleet of
five (four doesn't quite do it) planes and move them around the world as
required so that none of them exceed the 90 days limit.

The issues doesn't firectly and personally affect me at the moment, but I've
still put in my objections since it's guaranteed to affect me indirectly or
even directly in the future. One point I made was that it's a bit rich for
our authorities to decide what other countries should be happy with - if the
US authorities aren't happy with it's ability to oversee aircraft on it's
register that are overseas, then surely it's up to them to decide what to do
about it; if they are happy, then what right have out authorities to tell
them otherwise ?