Old May 5th 06, 06:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default IFR use of handheld GPS

Tim Auckland wrote:

Newps,

By "the book" do you mean 7110.65R?
http://www.faa.gov/atpubs/ATC/index.htm

I was browsing this online last night and couldn't find the reference,
but that's hardly surprising given that it's the first time I've ever
looked at this tome.

It's a ridiculous piece of work as you saw. If you could clear anybody
direct an equipment suffix would be unnecessary. It's also a shared
thing. I have my rules, you have yours. You have to be able to fly
what you file. You'd be suprised to find out how many operators file a
direct clearance as a /A or /Q and then say they need a vector. Even
when it is legal because they would be within the service volume.