Old February 14th 08, 01:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andreas Maurer[_1_]

Default Soaring Safety

On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 12:17:44 -0800 (PST), wrote:

Last November, I chaired a panel at the local SSA affiliate (PASCO)'s
Soaring Safety Seminar entitled "Complacency: What Me Worry?" I wrote
up my part of that and made it available at

Very good article.
I just got the official statistics of Germany for 2007.

20 fatal accidents with German gliders involved (compared to 10 in
2006).
15 of them abroad, 12 in the French Alps.

German autorities suppose that the very bad weather in 2007 made
pilots with insufficient experience go to fly in better weather
conditions that can be found in the French Alps.
They also think that the competition situation due to the OLC might
have made some pilots accept higher risks.

Bye
Andreas