Old February 15th 08, 04:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Soaring Safety

On Feb 14, 2:06*pm, wrote:
In the Henry Combs article, what did happen to Chet Lymon?
He survived and so did/does he confirm his roll control authority was
overpowered?

I checked with my friend who knew Combs and gave me the article, but
so far he hasn't been able to provide an answer to the above question.
I did do a search of the NTSB database and found the report attached
below which says he encountered wind shear. The longer report lists
the wind as 270@13, so I suspect they really meant a thermally induced
wind shear. If that was the case, it wasn't quite the same mechanism
that Combs described but the point is still there. Anytime we fly
close to terrain, life is much more dangerous since there's less time
(no time sometimes) to recover from an anomaly -- be it a wing lifted
(as Combs describes), wind shear that causes a stall, etc.

Hope this helps.

Martin

NTSB Identification: LAX84FA315 .
The docket is stored on NTSB microfiche number 25291.
14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
Accident occurred Saturday, May 26, 1984 in LLANO, CA
Aircraft: Bölkow PHOEBUS A-1, registration: N7700
Injuries: 1 Serious.
CIRCLING IN LIFT NEAR A HIGH RIDGE THE SAILPLANE ENCOUNTERED WHAT THE
PLT REFERRED TO AS WIND SHEAR. LOSING CONTROL, THE SAILPLANE COLLIDED
WITH A TREE BEFORE IMPACTING THE GROUND.

The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable
cause(s) of this accident as follows:

WEATHER CONDITION..WINDSHEAR
AIRSPEED(VS)..NOT MAINTAINED..PILOT IN COMMAND