Old February 15th 08, 07:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Shawn[_5_]

Default Soaring Safety

Mark Jardini wrote:
This discussion brings to mind an episode I had relatively early in my
soaring life. After licensing at Tehachepi in a 2-33, I went to
Crystal to
transition to glass in their Grob 103's. After being cleared to solo I
was flying along the San Gabriel's in an area that had been shown to
me.
The lift was sketchy and I was flying long passes through bands of
weak lift, not very close to the mountain, (I was and still am quite
cowardly). After hitting a strengthening patch of lift through two
passes, I had the brilliant idea to try circling. I made two circles
just like it was any other thermal I had flown and then, between
heartbeats, It all went to schist.

"Going to schist" When rock polishing goes bad.
Yeah, yeah, I know what your thinking "How gneiss."
;-)

Shawn