Old March 28th 05, 05:44 AM
Ben Jackson

On 2005-03-27, Jim Burns wrote:
We've tried the "full throttle mixture at idle cutoff, crank until it
starts" but it really drains the battery. Aluminum battery cables, 12v
battery located in the right side of the nose, just not a good combination

My battery (Comanche) is in the empennage, but it does have the copper
cable mod. My experience with cranking at full throttle (for a hot start)
is that the propeller turns much more easily and much faster, presumably
due to the fact that the intake cycle can breathe more easily. It probably
spins around more times, but starts about as quickly as a cold start.

The Comanche does have a roomy cowl and cools so readily that it doesn't
even need cowl flaps, so it may be that I've never experienced the joy
of a truly hot IO-540 start.

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/