Old January 6th 06, 03:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Bronze Badge question

Correct Test Answer is A)

You'd better consider winds throughout flight, as well as inter
thermal..

You'd be smart to use MacCready (correct spelling of Paul's name by the
way) speed estimate plus 1/2 headwind component. If not, I'll beat you
around the course. My Cambridge computer factors in wind component.

Kansas Example:

Winds 40K at altitude / 1-26 sailplane.. L/D of 45K for argument..

c) if I fly at L/D of 45K - I'm going forward at 5K.
b) Min sink of lets say 40K.. plus 1/2 of 40K headwind - I'm going
ahead at 20K.. better
a) L/D speed of 45K plus 1/2 of 40K (20K) equals 65KIAS - I'm going
ahead at 25K .. best.

Best answer for the question.. yet should still use MacCready speed
estimate plus 1/2 headwind component.

Reference FAA Glider Flying Handbook, FAA-H-8083-13; pge 7-34

wrote:
80) What is the approximate proper airspeed to use when flying between
thermals on a cross-country flight against a headwind?

a) The best lift/drag speed increased by one-half the estimated wind
velocity.
b) The minimum sink speed increased by one-half the estimated wind
velocity.
c) The best lift/drag speed with no regard to wind velocity.

The SAA safety site gives the correct answer as "A". I have alway
heard that when flying between clouds you did not consider the wind in
your calculations. Maybe the tricky part of this question is the word
"Thermals".