Old February 26th 06, 04:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default sliding wings?

In article .com,
" wrote:

when I look at my eyeglass case, I see two closely overlapping
wing-type shapes that are being pulled apart for opening.

why would it not be worthwhile to extend wings this way for landing and
departure?

/iaw

Do your eyeglass cases have ribs? Do you want to introduce a substantial
amount of complexity, perhaps roughly on a par with retractable landing
gear? Do you want to carry around a bunch of useless weight during
cruise just to give you a bit better STOL performance?

I'll keep an open mind, and would love to hear this idea fleshed out,
but for now, I think flaps are the weapon of choice here.